Typer Image
Call to scrap Trump's state visit over Zelensky row

An SNP MP has said that Donald Trump's second state visit to the UK cannot go ahead if he refuses to show further support for Ukraine.

#Ukraine #Zelensky #Trump #BBC Read More...

@ReeseSimmons

Typer Image
After Mass Firings and Ebola Funding Cut, Trump Asks if Anyone Is Unhappy with Elon – Cabinet Responds with Laughter and Applause

After firing approximately 30,000 federal employees, admitting to accidentally stopping Ebola funding, sending emails to over 1 million federal employees asking them to list their weekly accomplishments, Trump ask is anyone unhappy with Elon and his Cabinet responds with laughter and applause.

#News #ElonMusk #Trump #USA Read More...

@MilesPowell

Typer Image
Patients turned away as doctors hold mass strike in India over rape and murder of trainee medic

Sexual violence against women is a widespread problem in India - many crimes are believed to go unreported due to stigma and a lack of faith in police.

Patients are being turned away from hospitals and clinics across India as more than a million doctors are set to join a strike in protest at the rape and murder of a trainee medic.

The 24-hour strike began at 6am local time (1.30am UK time) with non-emergency treatment such as outpatient appointments and elective procedures cancelled, said the Indian Medical Association (IMA).

The mass walkout paralysed hospitals as staff from medical colleges were drafted in to help with emergency cases.

The strike was triggered by the killing of a 31-year-old trainee doctor, whose body was found on 9 August at the college where she worked in Kolkata.

A police volunteer was arrested but the victim's family believe it was a gang rape and that more people were involved.

The case has drawn comparisons with the notorious rape and murder of a student on a bus in New Delhi in 2012.

People demonstrated near parliament in the capital on Friday - as well as cities including Kolkata, Hyderabad and Mumbai - calling for tougher sentences and guarantees of safety for doctors.

The facility where the doctor was killed, the state-run RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, was attacked on Wednesday.

"Doctors, especially women are vulnerable to violence because of the nature of the profession," said the IMA in a statement on X.

"It is for the authorities to provide for the safety of doctors inside hospitals and campuses."

Sexual violence against women and girls is a widespread problem in India with 31,516 reports of rape in 2022 - a 20% increase on 2021, according to the National Crime Records Bureau.

Many are believed to go unreported due to a stigma over sexual assault and a lack of faith in the police.

The medical college case is being handled by India's central bureau of investigation after state government officers were accused of mishandling the case. Read More...

@GlobalNewsDaily

Typer Image
Japan battles largest wildfire in decades

More than a thousand people have been evacuated as Japan battles its largest wildfire in more than three decades.

The flames are estimated to have spread over about 1,200 hectares (3,000 acres) in the forest of Ofunato in the northern region of Iwate since a fire broke out on Wednesday, according to the Fire and Disaster Management Agency.

“We’re still examining the size of the affected area, but it is the biggest since the 1992 wildfire [in Kushiro, Hokkaido],” an agency spokeperson said.

That fire burned 1,030 hectares, the previous record. About 1,700 firefighters were being mobilised from across the country, the agency said.

Aerial footage from the public broadcaster NHK showed white smoke billowing up and covering an entire mountain.

Local police found the body of one person who had been burned, while more than 1,000 nearby residents have been evacuated and more than 80 buildings had been damaged as of Friday, according to the Ofunato authorities.

#Japan #News #WildFire #TheGuardian Read More...

@Jason91

Typer Image
Trump supporters lose $12bn as president’s cryptocurrency coin collapses

Donald Trump’s supporters have lost more than $12bn (£9.5bn) in a month after the value of the president’s cryptocurrency collapsed.

$Trump, a so-called “meme coin” unveiled on Jan 17, three days before Mr Trump’s inauguration, has lost more than 80pc of its value since its peak on Jan 19.

This has led to its overall worth falling from a peak of $15bn to $2.7bn on Thursday, as it suffered amid a wider crypto rout.

The paper value of the coins owned by Mr Trump himself has also fallen by $50bn.

While Mr Trump’s own losses have not been crystallised, investors are on the hook after spending heavily to back the Trump coin in the run-up to his inauguration, partly as a show of support but also as a gamble that the token would rise in value.

#Trump #TrumpCoin #cryptocurrency #crypto #memeCoin #News Read More...

@Jason91

Typer Image
U.S. may import more eggs as prices soar. Canada says ‘happy to discuss’

As the U.S. grapples with soaring egg prices, that country’s agriculture secretary says “temporary import options” will be on the table.

In an op-ed written for the Wall Street Journal, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins outlined her plan to lower the price of eggs – a key issue for American voters in an election that saw Donald Trump return to the White House.

In the op-ed, Rollins noted that the average price of a dozen eggs had skyrocketed 237 per cent, from US$1.47 in January 2021 to US$4.95 last month. Rollins outlined several measures that the Trump administration would take, including combating avian flu, which she said has resulted in the culling of 166 million egg-laying hens since 2022.

Among the measures she proposed was importing more eggs.

“We will consider temporary import options to reduce egg costs in the short term. We will proceed with imports only if the eggs meet stringent U.S. safety standards and if we determine that doing so won’t jeopardize American farmers’ access to markets in the future,” she said in her opinion piece.

#Canada #US #egg Read More...

@Ronan2008

Typer Image
Macron raises prospect of new European nuclear weapons

French President Emmanuel Macron has said he is ready to start discussions for nuclear deterrence for Europe in response to the threat posed by Moscow.

Macron told the newspaper Le Monde he was ready for talks about nuclear weapons for the continent following a request from the likely German chancellor, Friedrich Merz.

The French president's comments on Friday follow reports earlier in the week that France was ready to use its nuclear deterrent to help protect Europe.

Michael Witt from King's Business School, King's College London, told Newsweek that France's offer to extend its nuclear umbrella was in response to President Donald Trump signaling a retreat from NATO which meant Europe could not rely on U.S. protection.

#News #Macron #Europe #News #NewsWeek Read More...

@ReeseSimmons

Typer Image
What do you think is happening here

❓What do you think is happening here❓ Read More...

@eth0